Pinterest Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Brunswick Stew -- Georgia Style

I grew up eating this from the local Old Hickory House.  They make the best Brunswick Stew I had ever had.  Living in Texas, no one knows about Brunswick Stew...unless they are from either Georgia or Virginia.  I don't care for Virginia Brunswick Stew as it doesn't have the right flavor.  I have other Brunswick Stew recipes in this blog.  They come close to the Old Hickory House's version.  But something is missing.  My mom even has a recipe that is so labor intensive, if she makes it, it is only once a year.  So I scoured through many recipes and came up with this easy concoction.  It is so close to Hickory House and so yummy.  Best thing is...it is so easy and ready within an hour!!  (A definite plus in my household since I work so much.)  The secret to this is the barbecue sauce...it is perfect!  Try it...you won't be sorry!!

Ingredients:

Meats:
(1) lb peppered bacon (chopped into pieces before cooking)
(1) rotisserie chicken from your grocery store or Costco (you will need to remove the meat...don't add the skin or fat!!)  If you prefer, you can buy Curly's sauceless seasoned chicken in the meat department...I use two 10 oz tubs when I don't have time to pick a chicken!
(1) pkg Curly's sauceless pulled pork
Optional:  If you have any left over brisket or sausage...you can add it.  The more meat you add, you might need to increase the barbecue sauce 1/2 cup.

Produce:
(1) large onion, chopped (if you can get vidalia...even better)
(1) can creamed corn
(1) pkg frozen lima beans
(1) can diced tomatoes (if it has extra seasoning in it...keep it simple, like herb or garlic roasted; stay away from Mexican style or Italian style)
Optional:  (1) pkg frozen okra or (1) large pkg frozen mixed veggies

Sauce & Spices:
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp Crazy Jane's Mixed Up Salt
16 oz. chicken broth (low sodium is the best)
1 c barbeque sauce (for the best flavor, use Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory & Brown Sugar)
1 T. distilled white vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp freshly ground cracked pepper

Directions:

1.  In a large pot, cook the bacon until it is almost done, then add the onion and cook until the onion is caramelized. 
2.  Stir in the remaining produce and add the Sauce & Spices section.  Once it boils, turn to low and add remaining meats.  Let simmer for at least 10 minutes.  (I sometimes do it covered for 30 minutes so the flavors can really blend together and sometimes I let it simmer for a couple of hours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment