Pinterest Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Aunt Ruth's Oyster Dressing

The first time I ever had this I was 12 years old and living in Indiana.  My great aunt came for Thanksgiving weekend and this was her contribution.  I hated oysters...but that recipe changed my mind and for me, Thanksgiving is never right without this recipe.

Ingredients:

2 pkgs of Pepperidge Farm Herbed stuffing
2 c. chopped celery
1 onion, diced (if you can find Vidalia, do it!!)
16 oz. fresh oysters; do not get rid of the liquid
mushrooms
2 sticks melted butter
8 oz. chicken broth
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. ground sage
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. thyme
3/4 c. evaporated milk


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small saucepan, heat evaporated milk, butter, oyster liquid, and chicken broth.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  If you want to cut the oysters in half...you can.  Cook the mushrooms in garlic butter first before adding them to the recipe if you are using fresh.  (I used frozen exotic mushrooms from Trader Joe's and heat them up on the stove.)

Pour the heated liquid mixture over the stuffing mixture in the bowl.  Toss well and place in a 13"x9" Pyrex Dish (spray with Pam first).  Bake for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment